Sunday, November 4, 2012

Motocross Helmet Cake

Ahh, I loved making this cake!  It was so fun and I was so excited to do this!  This is a motocross helmet birthday cake.


For the helmet, I used two 6-inch round pans and half of the sports ball pan.  I stacked them and then chilled them so that I could carve out the face.  Just carve it smooth down the front.  Then, using rice crispie treats, I made the mouth piece.  Then, I covered the cake in buttercream and MMF.

For the visor, I used red gumpaste and had it sitting to take the shape that I wanted.  I almost hit panic mode because it didn't set up and get hard.  Not sure why - it just wasn't working out.

So, I had a brilliant idea. :)  I took a piece of clear plastic from a package of stencils I had in my cake cabinet, washed it and cut it out in the shape of the visor - leaving a couple inches on the end extra.  I stuck that end into the cake and laid the gumpaste over it.  YAY!  It worked!

For the design on the helmet, I just mixed up a little black gel food paste coloring with some vanilla extract and painted it on.

No comments:

Post a Comment